Imagine investing your savings in securing a retirement home at your dream location, only to realize that it’s not safe for habitation. Let’s say there’s a section almost falling apart, or it’s infested by molds that threaten your health.
That would be a horrible slap in the face! And, of course, no one would want to take such risks?
Well, if you stay in Santa Cruz, Ca, or you’d love to own a property there, then you are at the right place.
To save you from unnecessary expenses, we’ll take you through all there is to know before considering hiring professionals to handle your home inspections in Santa Cruz, CA.
What is a home inspection?
It is a process of assessing a property’s condition and reporting on the same.
It is mainly done before putting up a home for sale, when a property is on sale, for a building under construction, for insurance purposes, or maintenance purposes.
Simply put, it’s a buyer’s last chance to make an informed decision by discovering any underlying problems before buying a house.
Are you wondering if it’s the same as a home appraisal? Almost similar, but there’s a slight difference.
A home inspection focuses on observing the home’s current condition, whereas a home appraisal determines the property’s value.
The buyer can initiate a home inspection by hiring a licensed inspector.
How does home inspection work?
Before buying a house, you may want to know its current condition, if any repairs need to be addressed, and any maintenance concerns worth noting.
As such, a licensed home inspector will assess the home’s condition concerning the following types of inspection:
- Electrical inspection
- Plumbing and water systems
- Sewer and septic systems
- Fire and safety issues
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems
- Underground oil tank
- Evidence of damages caused by water, fire, insects, or rodents
- Pool and spa inspection
- landscaping/soil analysis
- Foundation/structural inspection
- Mod inspection
- Asbestos inspection
- Radon inspection
- Lead-based paint inspection
- Roof Inspection
- Chimney inspection
- And more
Both the buyer and the seller can request a home inspection. It saves the buyer any extra costs in the future and avoids aggravation.
On the other hand, when conducted by the seller, they can know what to improve or adjust before making a sale to increase the property’s value.
Since a home inspection is typically done after the buyer and the seller has signed the sales agreement, it’s necessary to include an inspection contingency.
This will allow the buyer to find a licensed inspector and act based on the inspection report.
If the report is satisfactory, then you’ll go ahead with the purchase. But what if you aren’t satisfied with the home inspection report? All is not lost. You can:
- Renegotiate the sales price
- Schedule other inspections
- Request for the necessary repairs to be made
- Cancel the contract
If the property has significant problems to be addressed, make sure you engage the original inspector again before proceeding with the purchase to ensure everything is in shape.
Reasons why you must not skip a home inspection
Why are we fussing over the home inspection? Is it that important for your home project?
The answer is yes. Here are reasons why we consider home inspection a lifesaver.
- It’s the buyer’s way out of an unfavorable sales agreement.
- It helps detect safety issues such as mold, which can become health hazards if overlooked.
- In case of any illegal additions or installations, they will be pointed out.
- It’s a negotiation tool that can help you get a house at a lower price.
- You can forecast future costs based on the current state of different components and how long they’ll serve you before needing repairs or replacements.
- It will reveal the bigger picture beyond what’s on the surface.
- It will put you on the safer side of your insurer since some insurance companies have strict requirements before covering a house.
- You can get professional tips from the Santa Cruz home inspectors on how to protect and maintain your property in the future.
You must have realized by now that you can’t afford to skip a home inspection. Let’s say it’s a do or die. That might sound a bit too serious, but nothing can be closer to the truth!
What should you consider when hiring professional home inspectors?
So, you’ve decided to conduct a home inspection for a property you want to buy in Santa Cruz, CA, but you don’t know where to start.
Worry no more; we’ve got you covered.
There are several licensed home inspectors in Santa Cruz, meaning if you don’t do your homework well, you might get below-standard services. Here are some considerations that you should put in place before you hire a home inspector:
- Must have the right qualifications and certifications
- If they have a website, check out the verified reviews to hear what previous clients have to say
- The backing of an accredited association is a plus.
- Get referrals from your real estate agent, friends, and family
- Obtain sample reports of their previous inspections
- Can the references provided by previous clients gauge the competence of the inspector
- They should have insurance for errors and omissions
- Confirm if there is a re-inspection fee. Most inspectors verify changes for free
- What are their prices, and are they fair? Compare quotes to know this for sure.
The Best Home Inspection Companies in Santa Cruz, CA
Now that you know all about home inspection, you probably want to start booking for the best home inspection company in Santa Cruz, CA. Below are the top three options.
Whether you are looking for home inspections for townhomes, condominiums, or single or multi-family homes, the Cypress Home Inspections team has you covered.
They conduct thorough and comprehensive inspections and boast several knowledgeable and certified top home inspectors who are highly trained and have years of experience.
They provide inspection services in Santa Cruz, CA, Monterey County, San Benito County, and the neighboring areas.
They have all-round inspection services, including pre-purchase inspections, maintenance inspections, new construction inspections, swimming pool inspections and more.
Their scheduling is flexible, so you don’t need to worry about it conflicting with your busy schedule. Typically, the company’s inspection services can take up to 2 to 3 hours, depending on the size of the home or property.
The other good news is that you need not worry about being short-changed. You are always welcome to attend the inspection in person, and you have a professional walk you through while answering all your questions.
They have pocket-friendly rates, with no hidden charges whatsoever. The rates vary depending on the style and age of the structure under inspection. The presence of extra outbuildings and the number of visits required also determine how much inspection services can cost.
Overall, they beat their competitors in Santa Cruz, CA, and beyond because:
- They have a team of highly trained and certified professional inspectors that do an amazing job consistently
- They partner with some of the best repair companies in Santa Cruz and the neighboring areas, including roof repairs
- They are committed to ensuring 100% customer satisfaction
- They are screened and approved by HomeAdvisor
- They offer different payment methods, accepting all the major credit cards
- Their service delivery is top notch
Dealing with the real estate transaction process, HomeGuard Incorporated engages in over 70,000 inspections per year.
Based in Northern and Southern California, they are among the best home inspectors in Santa Cruz, CA. They also have a partnership with HomeGuard HomeWarranty Inc.
Apart from home inspections, they offer other services such as Natural Hazards Disclosures and repairs.
They are incensed, with highly qualified inspectors. They are members of several home inspection associations.
HomeGuard Inc. is the best if you are looking for:
- Memberships and accreditations
- A variety of services
- Quality service
- Home warranty
Give them a call for a consultation.
Santa Cruz Property Inspections has been in business for over 17 years and is a household name in Santa Cruz, CA.
They offer several services, including commercial and residential home inspection, fumigation, soil treatment, thermal imaging, and termite inspection.
The home inspectors in this company are highly trained and qualified for the job. They are members of different associations, something that many home buyers look out for.
They are a perfect choice if you are looking for:
- Reasonable pricing
- Various payment options
- Quality service
- Reliable customer service
- Thermal imaging, fumigation and more
What’s Our Best Pick?
However tight a race might be, there would always be a leader.
Our choice company is Cypress Home Inspections. They are an all-round home inspection company offering top-notch services. Their rates are pocket friendly, and with their highly organized team they always complete their job in a timely manner.
Our second choice is HomeGuard Incorporated. They have several memberships and a Home warranty that many others don’t offer. They also have a pretty quick response to customer calls. However, they are a bit costly.
The third choice on our list is Santa Cruz Home Inspections. They offer unique services like fumigation, soil treatment, thermal imaging, and more.